Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Between the Heart, a Vine and a Wood



Between the Heart, a Vine and a Wood,
never but bleed nor Joy nor Worm nor Weed,
No.. Not a worm, not a Weed
but a Wormwood & Joyweed.

Whereas a Heart but bleed nor vine nor wood,
rest all these together a merry best friends
growing together supporting each other.

Have I confused you with my tangled words,
twisting vine & cords of three?
But now please cast your eyes upon them,
and see those fellows resting their arms
upon each other gracefully in elegance.

Do you see what I see?
A Bleeding Heart Vine, A Wormwood and A Joyweed.








.
This fern looking plant is really elusive in getting itself identified.
It took a great deal of time just to make sure that I got it right.
.
Its known known as Wormwood (Artemisia capillaris) There are many varieties of these species, but the most common one is this one. Its very much known locally as "pokok halau nyamuk" means mosquito repelled plant. But there is another one with a similar name identified together with geranium.
I found its name where some agricultural scholars are doing some research with this plant with the DNA genetic variability.
.
Though I doubt they really chase mosquito's away, they do have a nice fragrance, more like a fresh lemon, pine & a mint herbal smell. I guess that's what keeps these pest away.
.
Another thing about this plant is that the matured leaves look very different compared to the sprouted leaves. Here it look very much like an asparagus fern or fennel-like plant but actually they can really grow up more than 7 feet in a single branch.
.
Its actually a herb but its very much used as an ornament plant planted as borders. It can take good pruning and every time it comes back more bushy and lushly. It need good sunlight, lack of it may cause this plant to go leggy, scrawling all over & become very unattractive.
.
They need good watering too, lacking water may cause the young shoot to collapse. They also give out tiny grass like flowers where it would attract small birds to pick and eat them.
.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very nice furs ;-D I have one mosquito plant (the common one in the nurseries) years ago but I killed the plant. It just rotted. But this one looks hardy as I can see you it is planted out in the open :-) You are right about the ornamental part. You have kept the plant looking green and nice. Btw, tq for your advise on Lantana. I appreciated it. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Does this herb have a bitter taste? If it does, then its a herb that is used to make liquer...

Sue said...

You really take such beautiful photos-is that a digital?

Chloe m said...

James,
You have an amazing talent with words and photo. Always a pleasure to visit you.
Rosey

Scott & Liz said...

Hi James,Wormwood and Joyweed are new to me. Guess I have some research to do. Thanks, Scott

julian said...

vrtlarica has a point - Absinthe is made using wormwood, but I suppose there are different varieties...

easygardener said...

It is hard to imagine the Artemisia growing 7 feet tall - it looks such a delicate frothy plant. Just shows what some plants are capable of!

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Is that your poem? Very nice! As are the photos. I like the care you take with each plant.

James David said...

Steph - I guess that one is known as Geranium, this one quite hardy. I had come across in few Malaysian blogs stating that its known as mosquito plant & sold in Sg.Buloh nursery.
Do check it out, I'm sure you would love it.

Vrtlarica & Julian - I forgot to taste it, Will let you know when I do so.
Those wormwood that been used for making liquer may be from a different variety as I found out (Absinthe Wormwood - Artemisia Absinthium),
this one I have may have come from China where its cultivated there for Chinese dry herb medicine. Its known as Yin Chen Hao.

Sue - its a low-end camera (5M pixels) which I got few years ago, I had hardtimes with it - short battery lifespan, shaky pictures and lacking many options. Sometimes it co-operates with me, other times - I use my handphone camera.

Thanks Rosey for the compliment, I appreciate it very much.

Scott - Wormwood is very common here, but most gardeners may only have known them by their local name. Joyweed is Alternata Dentata. Also very common here - very much used for landscaping along the streetsides & in commercial areas. Hope you get to find them in your place.

Easy Gardener - I was very much surprised too, I might take that picture one day as its one of the plants growing around my neighbourhood.

Mary Delle - Yes it is, thank you for the compliment.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello James,

I have awarded you the Scrap Blog award on my blog. I would love to have you participate, because I enjoy your blog very much. It would be great to learn more about you. If you don't want to, I understand.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month